Talking Drums

The West African News Magazine

Sports

Romanus misses Commonwealth title

Fighting Romanus of Nigeria failed in his bid last week to lift the vacant Commonwealth welterweight title when he was stopped by Britain's Sylvester Mittee in 2 min 25 sec of the eleventh round of their contest at the Britannia Leisure Centre in Shoreditch, London.

Romanus was caught in the tenth round by Mittee's right and tottered around the ring, but managed to box his way out of trouble into the eleventh round.

He was again caught by two hard rights from Mittee in this round and buckled on his knees. At this stage British referee Harry Gibbs stepped in to stop the fight amidst protests from Romanus. The drama in the way the fight ended, however, did not surpass the psychological warfare that preceded the fight.

A member of Romanus's camp entered the ring as a witch doctor threatening Mittee with a six round defeat. However, Romanus, who said he was also a preacher of his church the Spiritual Prayer Church of Christ - and had appeared at his pre-fight press conference in flowing white robes and holding a bible, knelt in the ring to pray to God to help him win the title. His prayers were not answered.

Referee's decision is regrettable

Meanwhile, the Nigerian High Commission in London has described 'Referee Harry Gibbs' award of the Commonwealth welterweight boxing title to Sylvester Mittee of England in an unconcluded title fight with Fighting Romanus of Nigeria" as regrettable.

In a release the mission noted that referee Gibbs suddenly stopped the fight inside the eleventh of the twelve round title encounter according to him, to stop Romanus receiving further punishment, when by the 11th round, both boxers showed signs of exhaustion and they frequenlty held on to each other.

Observers at the ring side, according to the release, were of the opinion that the stoppage of the fight in the 11th round was unnecessary since neither Mittee nor Romanus showed any signs of imminent breakdown.

Although Romanus had a cut on his cheek in the third round and nearly slipped in the fifth round, he effectively bounced back and sometimes put Mittee on the defensive. Referee Gibbs' performance at Wednesday's bout was not a surprise to many spectators.

One of them who says he has been following his records said before the fight, "Gibbs has never been fair to Nigerian boxers, the Nigerian is sure to lose", concluded the release.

Kotoko are FA champions

Kumasi Asante Kotoko are this year's Ghana FA Cup holders. In their cup final against Obuasi Goldfields, last Sunday in Accra, Kotoko had to struggle hard to earn a 1-0 win over their second division opponents.

Black Stars in camp

In preparation for this year's Supreme Council for Sports in Africa (SCSA) zone three football tournament and the 1986 World Cup preliminary matches the GFA, has invited 34 players for camping at the Winneba Specialist Training College..

The players are Owusu Mensah, Isaac Essuman, Andrews Quansah, Mohammed Odoom, Jerry Adjei (goal-keepers), Joe Odoi, Ernest Appau, Kwasi Appiah, Albert Ansoade, Peter Maclean, Isaac Eshun, Emmanuel Acheampong, Addae Kyenkyehene, Albert Nyarko and Ahmed Rockson (defence).

Others are, Yaw Asamoah, Da Agyepong, Joe Amoateng, Alhaji Bello, Clement Adu, Kofi Num and Albert Asare (midfield). The rest are Sam Ayipey, Yaw Osei, Asare Boateng, Kofi Abbrey, Ben Kayede, Anane Kobo, Emmanuel Quaye (Joe Tex), George Arthur, Sam Yeboah, Saarah-Mensah, Philip Manu, Emmanuel Sarpong and John Bannerman (forwards).

Junior athletics competition

Ghana will host a three day first junior athletic championship (under 20) for eight nations forming the Zone Three of the Supreme Council for Sports in Africa (SCSA) from December 28.

The three-day championship is scheduled for the Accra Stadium on December 28, 29 and 30 will involve eight nations forming the Zone Three of the Supreme Council for Sports in Africa.

The countries are host nation Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Togo Benin and Burkina Faso.

Ghana was selected to host this competition, the first of its kind on the continent, during the recent African Athletics championships held in Rabat, Morocco.

The competition is limited to both boys and girls who will not be 20 years and 19 years respectively by December 12 this year.

With regard to entries, two athletes for a particular event are allowed for those who have hit the qualifying standards and only finals. one athlete for an event for those who have not hit the mark.

The qualifying marks are (boys) 100 metres, 10.7 secs; 200 metres, 22.5 secs; 400 metres, 29 secs; 800 metres, 2 mins. 50 secs; 110m hurdles, 1 min. 5.50 secs; 400m hurdles, 2 mins; long jump, 6.50 metres triple jump, 13.50 metres; high jump, 1.76 metres, pole vault, 3.50 metres; discus, 30 metres; high jump, 1.40 metres and javelin, 3.5 metres. Cameroon World Cup scandal Africa's top soccer official has described as 'most feeble' press allegations that Cameroon took a bribe to fix a game against Italy in the 1982 World Cup foot- ball finals in Spain'.

Yednekatchew Tessema, chairman of the African Football Confederation, told Reuters in an interview that allegations in a recent issue of the Italian magazine, Epoca, were absurd and illogical. Mr Tessema said that he had cabled Comeroonian sports officials to investigate the charges and had asked for an urgent reply. "If there were any truth to the allegations, players on both teams could be banned for life," he said. But he said that he did not believe there was any truth in the charges.

Epoca said that members of Italy's World Cup-winning squad had bribed Cameroonian officials with 100,000 dollars to ensure a 1-1 draw in a first round match in June.

FIFA to probe World Cup scandal

The International Football Federation says that it would formally investigate allegations that Cameroon players were bribed at the 1982 World Cup match against Italy.

FIFA said that its general secretary, Joseph Blatter, gave the assurances to Italian Football Association secretary Dario Borgogno, who went to FIFA in Zurich with a full file, asking that the case be clarified to exonerate the world champions.

FIFA investigations will include seeking the co-operation of representatives of the National Associations involved, match referee Dochev of Bulgaria and the official observer at the game.

On September 28, the Italian weekly EPOCA alleged that Cameroon were given 100,000 dollars to ensure a 1-1 draw in a first stage match during the world cup

The draw, in Group One ensured that Italy went through with Poland to the second stage where the team beat Argentina and Brazil before overcoming Poland in the semi-finals, and West Germany 3-1 in the final.






talking drums 1984-10-22 Oxfam rejects hunger myths - Nzeribe damages against Chad