Sports
Odizor wins singles titles
Local boy, Nduka Odizor won the Men's Singles of the Lord Rumens Tennis competition in Lagos by beating Thomas Muster of Austria in the finals. It was a one-sided affair as Odizor smashed his way to victory and forced Muster to concede afterwards: "I was a little bit tired making it difficult for me to hit hard at my groundstrokes". Muster also commented on the attitude of the Nigerian crowd which he said didn't make matters better for him as they were all out behind Odizor. He however added, "I don't nurse any ill feeling. It was a good loss".Later, the seventeen year old Austrian promised to take part in the next tournament. Commenting on his performance in the week long classic he said it was a pleasant surprise for him to have made the final after weathering all the storms of terrible opponents. On his toughest game of the series, Muster recalled his first round encounter with American Mark Wooldridge.
The game which lasted over two hours extended into the rubber and ended 7-6, 6-7, 6-4 in favour of Muster.
Nigerians are tennis champs
Nigeria made a clean sweep of all but the junior Girls Singles titles at the just concluded All Africa Table Tennis Championship in Alexandria Egypt. Nigeria won ten titles leaving the remaining one to the host country, Egypt. By this victory, Nigeria maintains her total dominance of the African tennis scene which she assumed since the All African Games in 1973. Coach Babatunde Obisanya said the standard of the competition was high. Nigeria will host the next championship in 1987.New dates for basket ball
New dates have been fixed for the once postponed National Super League of the Nigeria Amateur Basketball Association (NABBA).The Association's Chairman Mr Ken Emechebe gave the new date as March 11. Giving reasons for the initial postponement, he said that the Association originally planned to host about 10-12 teams but had to set aside that proposal when an overwhelming 32 teams. registered for the tournament.
The chairman who further disclosed that states have paid their affiliation fees for the year expressed his Association's pleasure at the response to the game of basketball in the country.
Alhassan asserts his eligibility
Ghanaian forward player George Alhassan says that he is qualified in every way to participate in the current league and knock- out programmes.Reacting to a protest by Sekondi Eleven Wise that he is still on contract with Hyundal football club of South Korea and therefore unqualified to play, George Alhassan said that no such thing exists. adding, "I'm as free as a bird to fly to the matches moon".
George Alhassan who started playing professional football in 1980 undertook his first contract in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) before going to Egypt. His match against Wise was his second appearance in the league this season. He scored all three goals in that match which Olympics won 3-1.
•George Alhassan (No 9) struggles it out with the defences of wise. George scored all three goals for Olympics.
Azuma in US to defend title
Ghana's world Featherweight champion, Azuma Nelson was scheduled to arrive in the US last week to commence preparations for the defence of his title on April 1.The fight is being promoted by black millionaire Don King, whose son, Carl is Azuma's overseas manager. On the same bill will be WBC junior lightweight champion Julio Ceaser of Mexico who will meet top ranked Ruben Castello of California.
Azuma's defence against No 1 contender Marcos Villagana was put off from March 21 to enable him to recover from exhaustion out of a hectic regional tour of Ghana as the new featherweight king of the world.
Soccer magician begins training
Mohamed Polo known as the "Soccer Magician," has started full training with his mother club, Accra Hearts of Oak in preparation for the rest of the league matches and principally for the African Cup competition.•Adolf Armah, who also recently registered for Accra Hearts of Oak to play in the local league and the African Cup series has also started serious training with the Premier Club in preparation for the assignments ahead.
Changes in league matches
The Nigeria Football Association (NFA) has rescheduled some National League matches involving Clubs in all the three divisions. According to the Association, the change in the dates was due to the continental engagements of some of the clubs playing in the League. In the first division, four matches are rescheduled. They are Stationery Stores of Lagos. The other matches affected are Bendal Insurance versus Rangers International of Enugu which was supposed to be played on March 9 but will now come up on Wednesday March 13 while the First Bank FC/Rovers FC of Calabar scheduled for Sunday March 10 will not be played on Monday March 11.HOME AWAY
TEAMS PWDLFA PWDLFA Pts
Rangers 1 1 2 1 1 - 3
First Bank 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3
IICC 1171 1 1 22
Sharks 1 1 2 2 1 1 11 2
Spartans 11 - 1 111 22
Stores 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2
ACB 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1-1- ---2
Bendel 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2
NNB 1 1 - 1 1 1 1 2
Calabar Rovers 1 1 1 1 1 1 2
Abiola Babes 1 1 1 11 1
Mighty Jets 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 7 1